Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site searchWeb search

Frustration sets in against the Storm

Kevin Henderson works infront of Thomas McCollum on the poewr play during the second period.

It's been a while for the Rangers, since January 19th, of 2006, when the Rangers were shutout at the hands of the Windsor Spitfires, but on this fateful rare Saturday night game in Guelph the Rangers, who appeared to be poised for a little revenge were in for more of a surprise.  And unlike the 1-0 defeat at the hands of the Spitfires on the road, the Rangers would leave Guelph with their tails between their legs, losing 5-0, and practically losing their dignity in the process.  Early in the first period with the game still scoreless an all-out brawl threatened to errupt with Matt Pepe already engaged in a free-throwing brawl with Guelph's Patrick Moran that seemed to last an eternity, or at least until Matt Pepe's hand broke forcing him from the game.  Steve Downie appeared to be engaged with offensive-minded defender: Drew Doughty, and gradually all players were involved in some sort of pushing or shoving until cooler heads prevailed.  The Rangers would fly out of the gate in this one blasting shots at Thomas McCollum and anyone who dared to get infront of those shots in a Storm jersey, but much like their previous visit, weren't able to find the back of the net.

The Storm would strike first, midway through the first period when Luke Pither took a back-door pass and beat John Murray.  This goal coming after the Rangers had managed to kill a two-man advantage, something that they failed to do at a similar critical point at a similar time in the game during their last visit to Guelph.  Later in the period Matt Kennedy beat Murray to give the Storm a 2-0 lead late in the first period.  The opening frame would only be the beginning of a trio of periods that were just loaded with penalties and power plays.  The Rangers had their huge opportunity late in the first period on a two-man advantage that carried into the third period, the Storm cleared the puck several times frustrating the Rangers on the way into the zone.  The power play carried over into the second period, and again the Rangers were unable to score.  It was obvious that frustration was setting in for the Rangers.

Matt Halischuk wasn't able to access any rebounds, and when others were able to, McCollum was there.

The Storm used the power play again early in the second period, Drew Doughty used the screen and bounced the puck off of an unsuspecting player infront of the net and into the goal.  The goal had a lengthy review, but coach DeBoer was already satisfied with his brief review, as John Murray was removed in favour of rookie: Charles Lavigne.  Lavigne came in, infront of a team that was in disarray and made some quick stops prior to Doughty beating him on a screened shot, Doughty's second power play goal of the period.  Lavigne never saw the shot that snapped into the top corner glove side.  What occured next was something that Rangers' fans feared when they acquired Steve Downie who has had a reputation for some hot-headed behaviour that has landed him in trouble with OHL disciplinarians in the past.  This night was no exception, frustration for Downie and his Rangers had boiled over.  Downie was returning to the lineup with a stiff neck after a hard open-ice collision with London's Sergei Kostitsyn several days earlier.

Downie grabbed Storm forward: Mike McLean right off of the faceoff, and pummelled the forward who covered up going down into the ice.  The stunt landed Downie 7 minutes in penalties along with a pair of game misconducts, one for throwing a bottle holder onto the ice after the brief battle.  The events would also result in a sizable suspension to the star forward, who's intensity works either for or against the team.  Corey Syvret scored a power play marker, the third of his career and second against the Rangers in a matter of weeks to close out the scoring, compiling 4 power play goals on the night, Lavigne was knocked over by his own teammate just prior to the puck going into the net.  Ryan Potruff of the Storm who receive an early shower after starting a fight with Kitchener's Brian Soso late in regulation, the altercation took place after Soso had taken Rafael Rotter's stick.  It was the Rangers' 3rd straight loss in Guelph, the win for the Storm clinched the season-series 5-2, with only one more game left in Guelph.