Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site searchWeb search

Storm rebound against Rangers

Three-way meeting of the minds at center ice in the first period.

After gaining points in 10 straight games, the Storm ran into a roadblock, the conference-leading: London Knights.  In the early going it didn't appear to be so daunting, the Knights lit the red light first, but with a series of power plays to start the first period, the Storm dominated on the shotclock and eventually their 20-plus shot first period translated into a commanding lead, during the second period, that lead was at one time increased to 5-2, three netminder changes later, the London Knights made a stunning comeback eventually winning the game 7-6 in the third period once things settled.  Storm captain Ryan Parent finished the game in the stands and the hang over for the Storm along with the absence of one of their most prolific players from the lineup seemed to add up to a continuation of what had occured in the second half of the game in London for the Storm.  And despite the Rangers early power play goal off of the stick of Yannick Weber, the Storm simply weren't phased.  As they did in their last meeting with the Rangers in Kitchener, they held the Rangers off the shotclock for the most.

Almost immediately after the Rangers' power play goal, the Storm also got on the board with a power play marker of their own from a pointman on the power play, coming off of the stick of Drew Doughty, he snuck in with Murray in a vulnerable spot that he never quite recovered from, later in the period it was Jamie Arneil who struck for the Storm, giving Guelph their first lead of the game.  With the lead the Storm went to work at doing what they do best, and that is frustrating their opposition.  They have an above average-sized netminder and, fearless block shots and fill up all shooting lanes.  From the early part of the first period on, rookie netminder Thomas McCollum wasn't seeing all of the shots, at times he appeared to be on spin cycle wandering in his crease desperately trying to gauge where the next shot would be coming from, but the Storm were severely clogging most of the shooting lanes and when clear shots got through, McCollum was there with some spectacular kick saves, along with some flashes of the leather to frustrate the Rangers and their fans.

Victor Oreskovich parks himself right infront of McCollum during a third period power play.

With the Rangers applying more pressure in the second period, the Storm continued according to plan once again, simply frustrating and boring the crowd of over 6,000 in attendance.  At the deadline the Storm unloaded several veterans in a rebuilding effort including: Trevor Solomon and Jason Doig who went to London and Belleville respectively.  In exchange for Solomon they picked up Corey Syvret, younger brother of grad: Danny Syvret.  Corey Syvret, a bigger, but perhaps less offensively talented version of his older brother had just celebrated his first OHL tally in London after failing to scored for more than one and a half seasons, one night later in Kitchener, Syvret scored again in Kitchener, two of the more difficult buildings to score in, in the OHL.  The late second period power play marker from the point gave the Storm an important two-goal lead.  The Rangers appeared to be poised for a comeback early in the third period.  Steve Downie made a thundering check on Rafael Rotter, frustrated Ryan Potruff came to the defense of the dimunitive Storm forward, Downie skated up to the overage Storm defender but then turned his back, goating Potruff into a minor penalty for tugging Downie into the ice by the back of his jersey collar.  Those events drew a minor penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.

Yannick Weber would score his second of the game on that power play bringing the Rangers to within a goal.  Unfortunately minutes later Jamie Arniel would have a clear break away and beat John Murray with a brilliant deke restoring the two goal lead.  Anton Hedman added some insurance midway through the third period before the Rangers attempted a comeback that was too little and much too late.  In all the Rangers would benefit from 13 man adavantages to the Storm's six.  Late in regulation the Rangers started to surge a little, in business-like fashion.  Matt Halischuk scored the Rangers' 3rd power play goal with just over 2 minutes left on the clock as more Storm players continued on their way to the box, with the score 5-3 Peter DeBoer elected to remove the netminder on the next faceoff.  Jeff Hayes closed things out with a shorthanded empty netter in the final minute sending the puck the length of the ice in a clearing attempt from his own zone.  The win improved the Storm's record to 3-2 against the Rangers, including a 2-2 record in games played in Kitchener.