Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site searchWeb search

Bobby Ryan simply not enough to stop "red-hot" Rangers

Robert Bortuzzo attempts to put a check on Wayne Simmons with John Murray out of position, somehow the puck wouldn't find
its way into the net after a huge stop by John Murray.

The Attack witnessed the end of the Rangers' rotating goalie carousel on Friday night when John Murray made the start between the pipes for the Rangers.  Prior to that the Attack had seen Charles Lavigne's first start (and nearly his last during the Rangers' first visit of the season to the scenic city), John Murray who won in Owen Sound and then Mark Packwood who picked up the start and a 2-1 loss in Kitchener.  Mark Packwood's now suiting up with the Oshawa Generals, and Charles Lavigne who's embarassing first OHL start where he and teammates effectively created a pair of goals is long behind him now.  At the Attack end of the ice, the Rangers have seen a number of starters as well, including Neil Conway who's won both of his starts against the Rangers' this season, one on home ice and the other in Kitchener for a surprise 2-1 victory over the Rangers.  Scott Bowles, who's spent time with the Attack prior to being traded to Windsor and then slipping through the league's waiver wires and back to the WHL where he came from.  By the start of the 4th meetting for these rivals, each team had gone through 3 different starters.

With the Rangers on the power play midway through the first period, Jakub Kindl burst into the Attack zone and rather than dropping the puck off or assuming a position at the point, used his speed and know how to drive directly to the net, and he did.  The only thing that slowed him down was Phil Oreskovic the expensive deadline pickup by the Attack.  Oreskovic hooked Kindl off of the puck just before he was able get a clear shot on Guadagnolo and early in the power play the Rangers were presented with a golden opportunity with a lengthy two-man advantage.  Steve Downie struck early while the Rangers were up two men.  The Rangers may have gotten a little greedy though, while using the power play line, the Rangers got caught late in a shift, Bobby Ryan blocked a Jakub Kindl point shot and elected to take the puck all of the way down the ice.  Flu riddled Kindl just wasn't able to find the strength to continue pursuit and Ryan beat John Murray tying the game.

Murray picks up a snow shower after stopping the puck outside of his crease.

Victor Oreskovich struck early in the second period on a powerplay, the Rangers' second power play marker of the night.  He deflected a Yannick Weber point shot through Anthony Guadagnolo, restoring the Rangers' lead.  Only 40 seconds later, Downie struck with his 2nd of the game and team-leading 29th of the season, blasting a shot past Guadagnolo.  The second period was loaded with opportunities for both teams, with the Attack down two early in the period they opened up the play in the period attempted to get back to even terms.  The Attack and Rangers combined for exactly 40 shots in the middle frame, 21 for the Rangers and 19 for the Attack.  Bobby Ryan appeared to bring the Attack right back into the game, he scored beating Murray for the second time in the game glove side bringing the Attack back to within a goal.  Victor Oreskovich would quickly salt away the Attack's chances with a goal immediately afterwards, beating Guadagnolo with a wrister.

With Ryan already having tied the Platers/Attack franchise record for points over a career (sharing that record with Andrew Brunette after his second goal of the night) Ryan looked to pass Brunette with class, finishing off a hat trick.  It's not that he didn't come close, he picked up the puck with a pass from the side of the net, and Murray simply stoned him with the glove hand.  Things got nasty late in the game as the struggling Attack tried to turn the end of the game into a physical confrontation, the Rangers finished on a two-man advantage with penalties to Simmons, Peckham and Guadagnolo all taking minors in the last 90 seconds of regulation time.  Naming only three stars was a chore both netminders were sensational at times, and there was a trio of two goal scorers for each teams that had excellent nights' as well.  In the end Victor Oreskovich was named the game's first star.