Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site searchWeb search

Frustration sets in, Rangers lose 4th straight

Dennis Wideman tries to force Nathan O'Nabigon away from his netminder: Gerald Coleman while Petr Kanko looks on.

The Rangers got down early but on this night wouldn't be down often.  London captain: Danny Bois somehow pounded the puck through several Rangers who tried to block the shot on the Rangers' net.  The shot somehow snuck through and although it was not a powerplay goal, the goal litterally took place only one second after the expiry of a holding the stick minor which was assessed to Nathan O'Nabigon.  The Rangers came out hitting during the first period, intensity that they were not filled with when they visited with the Otters in Erie the night before.

The second period was a thrilling one.  David Clarkson scored with only seconds left the first penalty of a two-man advantage, the Rangers retooled quickly and were aided by Brandon Prust who took an unsportsmanlike penalty on the same stopage as the goal giving the Rangers another shot at a two-man advantage and again the Rangers capitalized.  Craig Voakes sent the near 5,800 in attendance into a frenzy for a second time.  The Aud really got rocking when Petr Kanko broke in shorthanded, he made a mean deke and stuffed the puck around Coleman bringing most of the crowd to its feet with his explosive speed and moves when in tight.  The Rangers penalty kill would not give the Knights much room to manouver but struggled as their penalties were expiring again in the second with Petr Kanko only 6 seconds out of the box, Danny Richmond scored to bring the Knights to within one.  Only 14 seconds later David Bolland snuck around Boris Valabik and fired a shot right through the five-hole to bring the Knights back even.

A fight errupts at the London bench after David Clarkson is checked over the board and into the bench filled with Knight players.

During the third period, history repeated itself as it did in the previous two periods.  Only 2 seconds after Petr Kanko had stepped out of the penalty box Dennis Wideman caught Rangers' netminder: Brad Topping going the wrong way and the puck slipped over Topping's pad.  The Rangers rang the puck off of several posts while on home ice.  During the third period while down a goal the Rangers hit yet another post, a close call for Coleman and the Knights which even featured queued sound effects for a Rangers' goal.  The game was extremely, highlighted by an Adam Keefe fight with Brandon Prust which was a very heated battle, and seemed endless.  David Clarkson was shoved into the Knights bench and on more tan one other occasion play on the ice nearly degenerated into an all-out brawl.  The Knights left the ice to a chorus of boos, and taunted Rangers fans around section 24, where they leave the ice once the Rangers were finally cleared off of the ice.

The Rangers did go 2 for 10 on the powerplay, however both of those goals did take place while they were enjoying two-man advantages.  The Rangers 9 for 9 on the penalty kill was a more deceiving stat, the Knights scored a trio of goals which occured within 6 seconds of the expiration of Rangers' penalties.  The loss increased the Rangers' losing streak to 4 games, equalling their worst losing streak of the season.  Officiating proved especially unpopular with the Rangers and their fans alike.  Twice the linesman dropped the puck with no Rangers in the faceoff circle as Peter DeBoer had the team a the bench awaiting explaination of calls or lack thereof from the referee.  Deveraux Heshmatpour sat out the first game of a two game suspension after being ejected from the game the previous night in Erie.