Home  RangersRush Interactive Forum     Links around the OHL    RangersRush Archives     Schedule and Results     Galleries

Rangers turn tables on 67's in Ottawa

O'Nabigon gets his redemption after missed opportunities on home ice

Netminder: Scott Dickie looks through traffic during the second period
where he made 18 saves on 19 shots.

Nathan O'Nabigon even without playing with his usual running mate alongside sophomore center: Michael Richards was the receipient of nearly endless scoring opportunites during game one.  Rafal Martynowski, a smallish but very crafty winger did an excellent job of reminding the 67's of the Rangers incredible depth which up front has been demonstrated throughout the series.  O'Nabigon made up in a big way for the chances that he just couldn't convert on during Friday's 3-2 overtime loss, scoring early in the third and at about the same time in overtime for the Rangers.  While the game story had to be for the Rangers the second line scoring all three third period and overtime goals, and Kanko's three points in just over a period of play, the story from 67's colooured glasses looked very different!  Number's 83 and 84 the league's top offensive one-two punch in Matt Foy and Corey Locke went pointless for the second game and with an apparent injury to Rodney Bauman, the two 60 goal scorers were forced to reunite with former linemate and former Ranger: Scott Sheppard.  Sheppard did not succeed in igniting the two star scores and probably his absense hurt the second line, who caused havoc all over the ice but wasn't much of a scoring threat as it was in Kitchener.

The game became increasingly frustrating for the Rangers.  They held three leads 1-0, 2-1, and 3-1 and all but the 2-1 lead vanquished in under 2 minutes.  The 67's had a knack for scoring immediately after the Rangers had, and more often than not the goals were generated by the 67's very offensively gifted defenders, who when given the time to unleash a point shot have proven to have deadly accuracy, and at least two of the three 67's goals were the result of well placed point shots, many of them not approaching the net with threatening speed.  The obvious advantage for the Rangers who had difficulty holding leads throughout the game came in overtime where the Rangers could simply score and walk off the ice, which is exactly what they did after what many would refer to as an abbreivated business-like celebration.  Still the Rangers played well enough to walk away with the win in regulation having a small majority of the quality scoring chances in the piviotal game.

The Rangers almost ending things ahead of script when they called a timeout during a late offensive zone faceoff, however Eminger's sizzling point shot found the crossbar squarely and deflected wide.  Unlike game one Dickie really came to the forefront on several occasions, he robbed 67's and was named by the game's second star, a decision that was not agreed upon by the radio voices who elected not to give Dickie a start at all.  Scott Dickie faced a total of 40 through regulation and didn't see any during the extra period.  The Rangers powerplay went 1 for 2 in game where for the first time in the Rangers' playoff run, officiating proved to be very conservative in their penalty calls.  The Rangers powerplay marker happened after Adam Smyth hit David Clarkson into the 67's bench and some of his teammates tried to take advantage of the pesky Rangers' vulnerability.  Smola also assessed three minors to the Rangers who held the 67's off the board in their 2 powerplay opportunities.

Marcus Smith didn't dress for the 6th straight playoff game for the Rangers and Rodney Bauman was scratched from the 67's wih an injury.  With the win the Rangers' road record improves to 7-1.

Special thanks to:  Duct Tape for the excellent game night photography.