Home    RangersRush Interactive Forum     Links around the OHL    RangersRush Archives     Schedule and Results     Galleries

Rangers finally downed in 2003 playoffs, Storm win 5-4

Scott Dickie finally ousted by Penner?

Richards is seen celebrating against the boards as Nathan
O'Nabigon scored in the first.

For the first time in 9 playoff games the Guelph Storm were outshot, on the strength of a 21-9 third period the Rangers ruled the shot parade, but when the dust cleared Niko Tuomi scored with only 4:40 left in regulation to vault the Guelph Storm over the Rangers at the end of the night.  After 16 goal-less postsesaon games in 2001 and 2002 Gregory Campbell has turned over a new leaf and continues to score this postseason, his 7th and 8th of the postseason the first of which came on the powerplay and second that came in the second period immediately after a penalty had expired.  That goal helped to regain the lead immediately after Daniel Paille scored shorthanded on netminder: Scott Dickie.  Unfortunately the lead failed to last as Dustin Brown drew the Storm even minutes later.  Tuomi's 3rd goal of the series and obviously first game winner was the difference.  Tuomi recorded three points on the night and was named the game's first star.

The Rangers for the first time in the series seemed to rely on their powerplay.  Roy and Campbell scored a goal each while on the man advantage, and Campbell's second goal came only 5 seconds after a Rob McBride's hooking penalty was served.  Perhaps the Rangers got too greedy when they asked Gregory Campbell for 2 goals after they had done so well through 6 postseason games with him continuing at his goal and game clip, still the streak lives on and is now extended to 7 games.  Campbell only trails both Scott Horvath who has 11 games in 10 games and Eric Staal, who's Petes were eliminated in 7, who has 9 goals while playing some senational hockey in the lift lock city.  A 5th game is now necessary and tickets will go on sale at the Memorial Auditorium box office at 9:00am Wednesday morning.

When Nathan O'Nabigon opened the scoring at 1:52 of the first period slipping the puck from his backhand to his forehand the Rangers appeared to be on their way to a demanding 3-0 series lead.  Unfortunately the Rangers got into penalty trouble and as they did in Guelph on Sunday night the Storm took advantage of a 2-man advantage in order to score their opening goal.  Martin St. Pierre provided the goal and with seconds remaining in the opening period a Rangers turnover led to a Daniel Paille goal, his first of two on the night.

One colourful Rangers fan shows his 
stuff, both at home and on the road.

For the first time in the series, Andrew Penner was the clear victor in the battle of the netminders as Dickie had what could be colorfully be called an off night allowing 5 goals in game 3, after keeping the Greyhounds down to 3 goals in the entire series, and the Storm to a lowly 5 goals in their first two playoff meetings combined.  Penner really stepped his play up in the third period when he was forced to make 21 saves.

Derek Roy had a three point night (1-2), putting him ahead of the two-point a game pace with 3 goals and 12 assists during only 7 playoff games thus far.  During the Rangers last Memorial Cup run in 1990, the Rangers lost game 3 in series' against both the Centennials and the Thunder and continued to defeat those opponents 4-1 in each series.  For the first time in this season at the Aud, fans started to really show some emotion as chants of: "LETS GO RANGERS" started to build within the near 6,000 person crowd, a stronger crowd than Ottawa drew in each of its last two home dates.

Special thanks to:  Duct Tape for the excellent game night photography.