Home  RangersRush Interactive Forum   Links around the OHL   RangersRush Archives  All-Time Rangers drafts

Rangers sneak past Attack in Overtime

Halkidis provides Overtime heroics for Rangers

Owen Sound rookie netminder: Marty Magers put
on a show earning top star in a 3-2 overtime loss.

The Rangers made it 8 straight infront of a season high sell-out crowd of 5,909.  The Rangers and Attack played through two close-checking and scoreless periods the Rangers took a seemingly insurmountable 2 goal lead before the Attack knotted the game at two.  George Halkidis provided the overtime heroics as the Rangers improved their overtime record to 2-1-2.  When things are going well you find a way to win and that is exactly what the Rangers did on Friday night.  After letting a 2 goal lead over the Owen Sound Attack (the comeback kids of the OHL this season) the veteran filled Rangers squad threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Attack in the extra frame.  Roy whom had point in his last 12 games going into this one, was held scoreless in 60 minutes of regulation time.  In overtime the Rangers put 3 forwards on the ice along with offensively minded George Halkidis.  Halkidis came up from behind on a 2-on-2 rush and then beat Magers with a shot along the ice.  The goal was very much reminisent of one of the two OT winners that Steve Eminger had in Oshawa last season.  The shot while strong did not create the spectacular finish that many Rangers fans may have envisioned considering the play of Magers.  Marty Magers whom last season played in the USHL keeping his college eligability open was sensational keeping the Rangers off of the scoresheet through 2 periods plus.  Magers holds the distinction of being the lowest drafted Plater/Attack player to make the squad in franchise history being drafted in the 19th round, 367th overall.  The first period was all Rangers, and with good reason the Rangers were granted two powerplays and gave the Attack some things to think about going into the dressing room including a puck which went through the crease back of Magers but missed the outside post.  The second period, one inwhich the Rangers peppered 20 shots on goal, started with a bang, Thomas Harrison took on Owen Sound's: Mike Angelidis in a very wild bout.  Angelidis appeared to have a slight advantage before an extremely wild, nearly blind punch landed solidly on Angelidis' face giving the 17 year old a cut before the two went down.

After two periods of frustration the Rangers picked up a goal from a line which is probably overdue to start producing.  The speedy Matt Grennier scored on Magers to finally break the stalemate on a pretty give-and-go with impressive Rangers' rookie: Evan McGrath.  Michael Richards broke up a pass and burst into the high slot between the hash marks and let a shot rip, the lazer beam went top corner and the Rangers appeared to have everything under control.  Midway through the period Eason took an interference call and the Attack powerplay went to work.  Hatziioannou beat Dickie five hole quickly on the man-advantage, soon after Brad Richardson, an quickly emerging OHL star in his draft year beat Dickie tying the game.  Former Ranger and current Owen Sound fan favorite: Matt Passfield assisted on both Attack goals.  After the tying goal the Rangers started pouring it on the Attack, but failed to finish the job until overtime.

Game Notes: For the Attack it was their first overtime loss of the season, previously the Attack were 3-0-3 before the matchup with the Rangers.  Derek Roy extended his point streak to 13 games (9-21-30) with an assist on the winner by: Halkidis.