Dickie turns strong Ottawa effort into heartbreaker

Veteran netminder shines in Rangers come from behind win

Rangers resident character player: Adam
Keefe returned to the lineup after serving
up the final game in his 10 game suspension
on Monday.  Keefe seen fighting Peter-
borough's James Edgar

Scott Dickie (shown in action in Guelph) in each of his last two starts was staked to 2-0 leads and both games resulted in ties.  On Friday night the Rangers allowed the 67's to strike first twice and probably would have had the Rangers out of the game far earlier if it weren't for #40 Scott Dickie who had other ideas on his mind.  Dickie weathered the Storm and the Rangers offense got their act together in the third.  The Rangers were outshot 21-9 in the first period and one could argue that the ugly shot totals in the first period were barely a reflection of how badly the Rangers were outplayed by the Ottawa 67's in that frame.  Despite 2 powerplays the Rangers were hardly able to secure a good scoring chance in what was surely their worst 20 minutes of hockey since opening the season against the Windsor Spitfires both at home and on the road.  Fortunately with a stroke of luck and some netminding genius the Rangers only hit the locker room down 1-0 to the nation's number 3 ranked: Ottawa 67's.  The first half of the second period brought more of the same from the 67's, Julian Talbot increased the Ottawa lead to 2-0 while his teammates simply put a blank on the Rangers offense, with a strong forecheck and at times made the potent Rangers powerplay look simply - incompetent.  With increased presure to come from behind some of the veteran players even lost their composure.  Trying to increase the tempo on the Rangers bench David Clarkson tried to fight with Ottawa's: Jeremy Akeson twice, but both times had trouble with footing, after the second fight both combatents were sent to the showers, which means that David Clarkson will miss his return to the Belleville Bulls on Saturday serving the first game of a manditory 2-game suspension.

Team Captain: Derek Roy (who has been primarily setting up goals since his return) brought the Rangers back to within striking 
distance late in the second period, beating dimunitive rookie netminder: Lukas Mensator.  The late goal may have brought the Rangers into the dressing room on a high, but coach: Peter DeBoer quickly brought his team down to earth criticizing the Rangers overall effort in the first two periods, and probably reminding the Rangers that they didn't exactly deserve to be in this game.  The Rangers whom had left the 5,579 fans in attendance virtually commatose through 2 periods came out in the third with fire in their eyes.  Petr Kanko bulged the twine near the halfway point of the period solving the Mensator puzzle after many close calls for the 67's, Matt Manias who was benched for the second half of the Thanksgiving day matchup provided the feed.  After a hooking penalty to Karol Sloboda the Rangers took advantage as top pick: Evan McGrath scored the eventual game winner after a perfect point shot from Andre Benoit, whom has seen reduced powerplay time since the arrival of overager: George Halkidis.  One of the more rare occurances happened in the late going of the third when the Rangers and 67's took back to back too many men bench minors.  The Rangers penalty came with 4 minutes left and the Rangers left little chance for the 67's to score with an excellent penalty kill, the 67's took their penalty with 54 seconds left as Mensator left and then returned to the ice causing the penalty, the Rangers including: Michael Richards had many shots at the vacated net on the powerplay but failed to covert.  Evan McGrath whom has become a fan favorite in Kitchener was named top star for the Rangers..

Matt McCann and David Frawley were healthy scratches again, Rafal Martynowski whom will be out until next weekend missed his third straight game.  Adam Keefe played his first game of the season, and with the ejection of David Clarkson fit in very nicely on the first line with Derek Roy and Gregory Campbell.  The Rangers now have a points streak of 7 games (4-0-2-1).